Farmer's Market Friday


I took my latest Cooking Light with me on the plane to New Orleans this past weekend and dog-eared lots of recipes I wanted to try. I went to the Reynolda Village Farmer's Market this morning with one special recipe in mind ~ Shaved Summer Squash Salad with Prosciutto Crisps. I love summer squash and am always looking for new ways to prepare it. I know it sounds silly but I love the squash cut into ribbons. Besides the fact that I think these flavors would be amazing together, I love the visual composition. The photo above are my purchases from this morning at the market on my Earthborn Pottery plate with fresh herbs from my garden. The photo below is from Cooking Light followed by the recipe I plan to make this weekend.



 
Shaved Summer Squash Salad with Prosciutto Crisps

1 medium zucchini
2 medium yellow squash
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 thin slices prosciutto (1 ounce), chopped
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled ricotta salata or feta cheese

Shave the zucchini and squash into thin strips using a vegetable peeler. Discard seeds. Place zucchini and squash in a medium bowl, and toss with salt. Combine mint and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Pour over zucchini and squash; toss. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto; saute for 2 minutes or until crisp. Place 3/4 cup salad on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese; sprinkle evenly with prosciutto.



I couldn't wait to get back to the Reynolda Village Farmer's Market to buy more of the Vanilla and Lavender  Goat Cheese from Daddy's Girl Dairy. I was disappointed when I got there because she had sold out! I decided to give another flavor a try and purchased the Lime and Coconut. I plan to serve it with fresh shrimp and crusty french bread. 

 The photo above is my Friday night appetizer ready for the table. Tonight would be a beautiful evening to sit outside before dinner with an easy appetizer and a glass of wine. In the Summer, I like things to be simple and easy so we can enjoy ourselves and just relax. Chilled shrimp and crunchy french bread from the Fresh Market, herbs from the garden and something unique and special ~ the Lime and Coconut Goat Cheese.

I love to use beautiful old things when I'm entertaining. The appetizer is served on an old piece of creamware and the table is covered in one of my favorite things, a vintage Kantha Quilt made from old saris. The hand blown antique French crystal cheese dome is part of my old glass collection and was a Christmas gift from my sister. Not only do the fresh herbs look pretty on the plate, they smell divine in combination with the burst of citrus scent from the fresh cut lime!



Vintage Kantha Quilts from Niki Jones

Bon appetit!


Photobucket
You have just read the article entitled Farmer's Market Friday. Please read the article from Interior Josh About http://storyflash.blogspot.com/2011/06/farmer-market-friday.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment