Framing Herbariums





Decisions. Decisions.

As I mentioned in my last post, I purchased a set of 24 Swedish Herbariums at the Scott Antique Market in Atlanta and now have to decide how to frame them. 

I would like to frame them very simply so that the frame does not take away from the Herbarium's natural beauty. I bought one piece of the vintage handmade gray paper (photographed with the pair of Herbaria above) from another dealer at Scotts and wish I had a whole stack of it because I like the way the gray paper marries with the Herbarium.



Each Herbarium is a labeled with the plant name and family and where it was collected and the date. My set was collected in 1937 in Sweden.

Here are some of my favorite examples of framed herbariums.

Do you have a favorite frame style?


{A favorite mountain retreat "sleeping porch" from Interior Designer Phoebe Howard}
The framed botanicals in the room above are probably not vintage Herbariums but more likely modern pressed botanicals. I like the simplicity of the white frame and simple mat.

{A favorite living room from Interior Designer, Betsy Brown}
 I have considered framing several pairs together to make larger art like Interior Designer, Betsy Brown, did in the room above. These are again framed in plain, somewhat modern frames and a gray mat.

{Vintage Herbariums framed in lucite hang in Brooke Giannetti's new laundry room at Patina Farm}

Brooke Gianetti, from the blog Linen & Velvet, recently featured her new laundry room at Patina Farm. Let's just say that her laundry room is a breath of fresh air and I LOVE the way she framed her Herbariums between two panels of lucite. 

The Herbariums are very fragile and I think this method would be a nice of way to preserve them as well as taking something very old and making it fresh and modern.

I carried the Herbariums on my lap all the way home from Atlanta, a six hour drive, because I was so afraid we were going to do something to that might damage them.

{another view of Brooke Giannetti's beautiful laundry room at Patina Farm}


A collection of Herbariums creates a dramatic focal wall in this bedroom designed by Kristen Cone.  I can't tell from the picture but the frame might be just an off-white version of the simple white frame I showed earlier that contrasts with the white mats. They might be a narrow bleached wood.


Another bedroom designed by Kristen Cone features a set of 12 botanicals framed together. I really like this frame treatment as well.


This wall of herbariums is framed very simply between glass and cardboard and secured with metal clips. This would probably be the least expensive method of framing and is really in keeping with the utilitarian nature of a pressed botanical.



I found this image on a tumblr page, a.k.a., I will never be able to find the original source.

I think this is incredibly chic but something I probably couldn't replicate!



Another eternal bedroom features the Herbariums in narrow gold frames with gray mats.

{Interior Stylist, Thea Beasley, at home via Atlanta Homes Magazine}

I will leave you with one of my favorite kitchens that features botanicals mixed in with kitchen essentials displayed on a wall of open shelving. 

Do you have any suggestions?

I would love to hear your thoughts!



Photobucket
You have just read the article entitled Framing Herbariums. Please read the article from Interior Josh About , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://storyflash.blogspot.com/2014/03/framing-herbariums.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment