Artistically Speaking: Page Laughlin


I first met artist Page Laughlin across a plate of ham biscuits relaxing on the back porch of a mountain house at the foot of the blue ridge mountains. I have always enjoyed talking with and getting to know artists and learning more about their artistic perspective. Our children took off their shoes and frolicked in the little trout stream below, and we sat on the porch and talked about art and the artist's life. She invited me to bring my daughter by her studio one day to watch her paint and see her canvases in progress. I never got up the nerve to call her and take her up on her intriguing offer. I have a secret...although my daughter would have found this mildly interesting, I would have been over-the-moon!

I first became an admirer of Page's work after reading a feature story in Traditional Home several months prior to our family picnic in the mountains. I didn't really connect this lovely, down-to-earth person that teaches art at Wake Forest with the artist of my admiration until much later. I love that my little hometown of Winston Salem is home to such a wildly talented artist with a very complex and interesting artistic perspective.

I thought you would like to know that Page Laughlin's latest work is currently on exhibit in Charlotte through June 25th at the Hidell Brooks Gallery.



To give you a little insight into the artist, here is a quote from Page revealing her artistic point of view:
"These interiors present us with a fantasy of materialist beauty. These commercial images are compelling subjects for my painting because they reveal much about our consumptive desires. I am interested in what these fantasies reveal upon closer inspection and in what is veiled in seduction."






To see more of Page's work visit her website here or Hidell Brooks Galleries for her latest work here.

 
Photobucket
You have just read the article entitled Artistically Speaking: Page Laughlin. Please read the article from Interior Josh About , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://storyflash.blogspot.com/2011/06/artistically-speaking-page-laughlin.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment