Lessons Learned at the Weekend Home Tour

I can't resist sharing a few thoughts and photos from the weekend's home tour! I know I am right in the middle of Exploring Cottage Design but I can't help myself. I have been admiring one of the homes on the tour for almost a year as I pass by on my morning walk. Who would have ever thought I would actually get to go inside and meet the designer? Saturday was such a crisp and beautiful day. I just love Spring in the South!


One of the most exciting things I learned at this year's tour is that there is a very talented, young designer in Winston Salem named Emily Taft. She is the designer behind the sophisticated interiors featured in the first seventeen photos. My photos truly do not show these interiors to their full potential. I am excited to share with you that Emily and I are getting together soon for an interview to learn more about her design philosophies and sources of inspiration. I'll share beautiful new images of this incredible home taken by a professional photographer. Don't you just love her business card!

 



Formerly just a kitchen tour, The Tour of Fine Spaces showcased ten homes in Winston Salem. From a DIY renovation in historic Old Salem to this new home that was built in the heart of Buena Vista on a beautiful  lot where a 1920's brick Georgian formerly sat. It's always hard to take an old house down but this designer took care in putting something with old world charm back in it's place. I came home very motivated and inspired! Here's just a few things I learned:

 There's no substitute for an abundance of natural light.

This picture does not do these huge double french doors justice. The custom made shutters are at least 3 feet wide and 10 feet tall. The true beauty of these enormous doors can only be seen from the interior. The living room is flooded with natural light streaming through the large expanse of glass in these doors. It seems that Southern Exposure was a top consideration when these architectural plans were drafted as bright sunlight illuminated my path with every step  I took in this lovely home.



Simple, tailored linen drapes are chic, timeless and affordable.



I am seriously in love with limestone floors!



It was not until I reached the kitchen that I discovered the true genius of this light filled home. The kitchen features a glass window wall with glass front cabinets that give expansive views into the beautifully manicured backyard. There was really no way to take a picture of this design element. The sunlight was so bright coming in through the windows that is over exposed my shot.



Floating glass cabinets and big backyard views are covetable.






A pretty blue bedroom is always appropriate and forever stylish.




Creating little nooks makes a house cozy and functional.






Stark makes a wool carpet that looks like their signature sisal!





Even the most formal house deserves a porch swing.



Pea gravel makes a very elegant ground cover.






By arranging herbs with different textures and colors in a graphic x pattern, you can create an amazing kitchen herb garden with even the smallest patch of earth.



Benjamin Moore Ashen Tan 996 is a very pretty gray paint color.



Cafe curtains make a lovely kitchen window treatment, providing privacy and natural light.




It's hard to replicate the beauty of an old house staircase.

I had the pleasure of talking to one of the homeowners on the tour and learned that he and his wife had just returned from a year living in Singapore. His home was notably influenced by his travels. He explained that in Singapore they walked everywhere and lived more simply. I regret that I didn't get any pictures of his modern, Asian inspired renovation. The lampshades in the living room were covered with little linen slipcovers creating an almost Asian lantern effect. The master bedroom had a zen-like atmosphere with sparse furnishings and featured a bed on a low platform with dimly lite bedside lamps. The stairway leading to the basement was almost floating with cable railings. This brings me to my last lesson learned:
Travel will positively influence your interiors.

The Tour of Fine Spaces supports the Junior League of Winston Salem's programming aimed at nurturing and educating individuals to build healthier families and stronger communities.




Photobucket
You have just read the article entitled Lessons Learned at the Weekend Home Tour. Please read the article from Interior Josh About , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://storyflash.blogspot.com/2011/03/lessons-learned-at-weekend-home-tour.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment