And George

Charlottesville, Virginia is one of those kinda towns were you visit via happenstance and never leave. This old Southern college town has a down-to-earth, casual charm with a little bit of a bohemian vib...a blue jeans and champagne kinda town that I could just cush right into and never look back.

I can't exactly say I stumbled upon the shop And George. I actually made a beeline for the store the second I hit the city limits. From the moment I read about this talented mother and daughter duo and saw Christy Ford's Charlottesville abode featured here, I knew I had to take a detour next time I was within range.  They call their shop And George and author a great blog by the same name. The store is named after their beloved English bulldog ~ George. 
The mother, Jan Roden worked in interior design in Northern Virginia for more than 20 years before moving south to set up shop with her daughter Christy Roden Ford, once a New York photographer.


The lines are blurred between the amazingly stylish shop and the artisans and creatives they represent. The watery paintings are from the aquatic series from Charlottesville artist, Abby Kasonik. If you're like me, and you want to own one of these watery pops of blue, you can purchase them exclusively at And George or through Taigan here, their online shop.


A painting from Abby Kosanik's aquatic series at home in owner Christy Ford's Charlottesville home.

 

A tablescape from And George.



The shop overflows with collected treasures from nature ~ bird's nests, eggs, seashells, driftwood ~ something you will find on every table and bookshelf in my own home. I have always loved the perfect little details found in nature and never tire of nature's boundless beauty. I collect things on my morning walk and bring them indoors to enjoy them and mix them with my favorite antique treasures. Maybe that's why I felt so at home in And George.

Another artist that And George partners with is graphic designer, Erika Jack. I am quite taken with Erika's work. Her work is woven throughout the displays at And George with invitations announcing a formal dinner party or placecards artfully incorporated into tablescapes. She also offers a few stationary gift items available for purchase at the store but her signature offering is her custom bespoke stationary and invitations. Follow the link above to experience her incredible custom designs and visit her blog.







While in Charlottesville. I picked up the most unique little book called SCOUT only to find out that it the result of the creative collaboration between Christy Ford, And George, Erika Jack and local photographer Andrea Shirey. The Scout Guide is all about promoting local businesses and encouraging residents and visitors alike to buy local. It's pages are so beautiful it is hard to believe it is free. Like an Anthropologie catalog the guide itself is a work of art in its own right. The graphic design, the photography and the collective of artists it represents leave me wanting more and planning a return trip.

 




See what I mean...the image above is just one of the pages from the Scout guide...I have to schedule a return visit just so I can explore this little boutique...I love the wallpaper!

Photobucket
You have just read the article entitled And George. Please read the article from Interior Josh About , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://storyflash.blogspot.com/2011/07/and-george.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment